by Trish Messom
This recipe is courtesy of The Stuffed Olive in Bantry, Co Cork, a wonderful restaurant and coffee shop run by chef, Trish Messom. Trish trained in Ireland and Switzerland and is a talented and innovative creator of delicious recipes.
She has perfected gluten free pastry to gourmet standards and many of the cakes and salads in the restaurant are gluten free so there is a great variety on offer for all tastes.
Her Moroccan Orange and Almond cake is moist and scrumptious. So for anyone who wants to try it for themselves here is the recipe:
Moroccan Orange and Almond cake
2 large oranges
6 large eggs at room temperature
250g caster sugar
250g ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon flaked almonds
1. Wash, then boil the oranges unpeeled in a little water for 2 hours
2. Let them cool, then cut them open to remove the pips
3. Turn the oranges into a pulp by blending them in a food processor
4. Preheat the oven to 160ºC/325ºF/gas 3
5. Butter a 20cm loose-bottomed tin, then line with baking parchment
6. Whisk the eggs very lightly in a bowl
7. Add the caster sugar, ground almonds and the baking powder, mix thoroughly and pout into the tin.
8. Sprinkle the flaked almonds on top
9. Bake in the oven for about 1 hour, but if its still very wet leave it in the oven a little longer.
10. Cool in the tin before turning out.
11. Dredge with icing sugar
Eat and enjoy!!
The Stuffed Olive Cookbook was produced by Trish in 2013 and is available direct from The Stuffed Olive.
The Stuffed Olive is located at Bridge Street, Bantry Co Cork, Ireland. Well worth a visit….!